Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Greatest



Oh, Cat Power: a mystery wrapped in an enigma, or however that saying goes.

Fragile. Moody. A musician that walks the line between vulnerable little girl and crazy woman with a gun. She's infamous for her tendency to perform either the best or worst concert of your life, but never one to leave people feeling iffy about her and the music; you love her or you hate it. That's the way it is. I'm sure she prefers it that way, too.

If you haven't guessed already, I'm one of those people that worship at her feet. But it's a shame just how much her stage name throws people off when you try to introduce them to her music, especially if your friends already think you ride the short bus to school. A typical conversation with one of my friends:

"So, John, what ya' listening to?"

"Um, Cat Power."

"...What?"

"It's her stage name."

"Forget I asked."


Anyway, the whole point of this post is to tell you Cat Power (real name Chan Marshall) is appearing on Letterman tonight and I hope to God she keeps her cool and manages to pull out one of her great performances. I just know she has it in her.

You can sample many of her tracks by using this mp3 aggregator to point to you the vast array of blogs offering her songs. But let's pretend you found it on your own, ok?

Song Recommendations: "Say", "Still in Love", "Colors and the Kids", "The Greatest", and "Evolution, and "Fool."

1 Comments:

Blogger fifi-belle said...

Cat Power/Chan Marshall is definitely a brilliant musician. She's playing with the Dirty Three in Australia next week and I'm travelling 800kms just to see her... but I'm still not sure what I think of The Greatest.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home